Our Reading Buddy program is an initiative where older students participate in a paired reading activity with younger students.
This year, pupils from 4th/5th/6th classes (Big Buddies) were paired with pupils from 1st and 2nd classes (Little Buddies). The pupils meet twice a week for 8 weeks. Each week, the pairs & small groups read aloud to each other, benefiting both students reading & listening skills.
The ‘Little Buddies’ benefit from:
- hearing stories read-aloud (modelling of reading fluency, phrasing and expression)
- having conversations with an older student about topics that interest and involve them (extending their vocabulary, oral language abilities)
- having regular opportunities to practice familiar reading with assistance
- enjoying fun, positive experiences with older school children.
The ‘Big Buddies’ benefit from:
- further developing their own literacy skills
- fostering leadership and problem-solving skills
- improved self-confidence that comes from being looked-up to
- a very real and important reason to be responsible, and an opportunity to praised for positive behaviour
Reading Buddies can promote a higher interest and participation in reading, improvement in social and communication skills. And, most importantly, it’s just FUN!
Here are some pictures of our buddies in action!